History

Company History

Wayne J. Morrill began a small business venture out of the basement of his home in 1946 focusing on Value, Service, and Quality. Little did he know that Morrill Motors, Inc. would become a fixture in the global commercial refrigeration market over 60 years later.

In the late 50’s and 60’s there were many new products that were introduced such as the aluminum frame unit bearing motor. Also in the 60’s manufacturing divisions were started in Tennessee, under the direction of Wayne’s son, Giles. Morrill Motors’ global corporate headquarters is now located in Erwin, TN.

Similar to his father, Giles was focused on innovation. In 1996 Morrill Motors, Inc. introduced the world’s first electronically commutated unit bearing motor. The name of this product is SSC which is an acronym for Solid State Commutated.

In 1998 Morrill Motors, Inc. was purchased by Paul Farnor and Jim Mitchell. Under Paul and Jim’s leadership Morrill expanded their core competencies by acquiring RM Engineering, a machine shop with full tool and die capabilities and AB Plastics, a custom plastic injection molding facility. RM Engineering and AB Plastics were brought under the Morrill brand name in 2009 and are now Morrill Engineering and Morrill Plastics.

Paul and Jim expanded the company’s global manufacturing footprint and opened a manufacturing facility in 2003 in Jiaxing, China. The new plant in Jiaxing has enabled Morrill to provide the highest quality unit bearing motors across the globe.

In 2007 Regal Beloit (NYSE: RBC) acquired Morrill Motors as part of their strategy to expand the total breadth of their product portfolio. That same year the GE Commercial Refrigeration business that Regal Beloit acquired in 2005 was merged with Morrill Motors and started using the Morrill Motors, Inc. brand name.